Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Don't Worry, Be Angry!

Angry Birds Cake!

I've been busy out tasting, more like simply eating, various foods and frostings and haven't quite updated you all on my adventures. This is what I've been up to: Since presentation is half the part (right?), so I'm working on improving that department! I have been in the artsy-fartsy mode. A few cupcakes, two cakes, lots of time!, and lots of frosting-covered fingers later, tada!, an Angry Birds designed raspberry-filled vanilla cake with buttercream icing! I guess all that 384-well plate pipetting in the science lab paid off!
Science note: Pipetting is a method to measure and transfer a volume of liquid.  Molecular biology techniques require pipetting micro(small)volumes of 0.1-1000uL which is equivalent to 1/1,000,000 of a liter or less into 384 holes of a 128 x 88mm plate.  In layman terms, lots of pipetting tiny amounts into tiny little holes!

Well, the cake was such a hit-in terms of looks-that no one wanted to cut it. :( I joked that I should make an ugly cake so everyone wouldn't mind destroying the masterpiece to dive in and devour the dish! Anyway, we got creative and so far just ate wedges around the bird, keeping the center for later maybe?  Angry Birds is quite popular and addicting to some people!

Savoring the bird....

No comments:

Post a Comment